With the help of a generous grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Trinity House renovated the Engine Room at Lizard Lighthouse, retaining some of the old engines. It now also features new exhibition material, an audio visual room and a number of interactive displays. The Lizard Lighthouse Heritage Centre was officially opened in 2009 by HRH The Princess Royal.
The distinctive twin towers of Lizard Lighthouse mark the most southerly point of mainland Britain. See displays depicting Trinity House’s history, housed in the original engine room. It was commissioned in 1752. For over 250 years, the lighthouse has provided a welcoming landfall light to vessels crossing the Atlantic Ocean.
Tours of Lizard Lighthouse are organised under licence from the Corporation of Trinity House.
Lizard Lighthouse was built by private entrepreneur Thomas Fonnereau in 1751, marking the most southerly point of mainland Britain
Many stories are told of the activities of wreckers around our coasts, most of which are grossly exaggerated, but small communities occasionally and sometimes officially benefited from the spoils of shipwrecks, and petitions for lighthouses were, in certain cases, rejected on the strength of local opinion; this was particularly true in the South West of England.
The distinctive twin towers of the Lizard Lighthouse mark the most southerly point of mainland Britain, the lighthouse is a landfall and coastal mark giving a guide to vessels in passage along the English Channel and warning of the hazardous waters off Lizard Point.
Contact: 01326 290202 TR12 7NT